Monday, October 14, 2013

Thankful

This time a year ago, I was four months pregnant.  I was sick - really, constantly, all-the-time sick - so Matt and I opted to stay home and cook our own mini Thanksgiving dinner, just the two of us.  We had no idea what lied ahead, that I'd be giving birth in a scary blur only two months later.  We cooked and laughed and set off smoke alarms and talked about baby names and where in the world we'd move if we didn't have to worry about finding paying work.  It was one of my most favourite days.

420895_10100847237766101_1579174617_n397316_10100848838772671_395330955_n

Today, we're also cooking Thanksgiving dinner together at home, although there will be two more people at the table.  Getting to this point has meant a lot of stress and tears and sadness, a lot of sleepless nights.  But it's also been about love, a new kind of love I didn't even realize existed, for these new little humans I get to call my children.  And a new kind of love for Matt too, for both the incredible father he's become as well as for the person who shared that terrifying journey with me, whose heart broke along with mine, who never left my side.

I had no idea a year ago what lied ahead for us, couldn't have possibly imagined it even if I'd tried.  But I also had no idea either just how wonderful it would be, and just how much I would have to be thankful for.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours xx

1 comment:

  1. Ok, so I read this again and had to cry once more.

    ReplyDelete